Writers Victoria is thrilled to announce that Victorian-based writer Gabriella Munoz has been selected as the inaugural Digital Writer in Residence.
Gabriella Munoz is a Mexican-Australian writer and editor. She has published feature articles and essays in English and Spanish on a wide variety of topics ranging from film and the music industry, to celebrity culture and women’s health. Her literary work focuses on motherhood, exile and the mysteries of blood and origin.
In her application for the Digital Residency, Gabriella described how “moving to Australia has meant one thing for my career: being defined by my accent.” Coupled with the isolation she felt having children as a migrant, her writing career has been hampered over the past eight years. Through the Digital Residency, Writers Victoria aims to support Gabriella to rekindle her career and to connect her with Victorian writers and publishers.
As the Digital Writer in Residence, Gabriella will be provided paid writing and subsidised professional development opportunities including, but not limited to:
- six paid commissions of 800-1000 words to be published through Writers Victoria channels and/or partner outlets (worth $1200)
- provision of a complimentary Writers Victoria membership (worth $75)
- complimentary access to up to five online and/or in-person workshops (worth up to $725)
- profile-raising and facilitated networking opportunities
- paid opportunity to design and deliver a half-day workshop or seminar as part of the Writers Victoria courses and events Season 2 program (worth $550)
Women writers continue to face many barriers to artistic and professional development, including caring responsibilities, socio-economic status, location and distance to metropolitan areas. This residency aims to support creative practice and enhance professional development in a way that respects the writers’ life circumstances.
The Digital Writer in Residence initiative is made possible through a grant from the Loula Rodopoulos Sub-Fund of the Victorian Women’s Benevolent Trust.