Writers Victoria welcomes pitches and submissions to our in-house print magazine ‘The Victorian Writer’.
We strongly advise all who submit that they read the most recent issues of ‘The Victorian Writer’ to acquaint themselves with material the magazine has previously published, and check out our upcoming themes.
- Jun-Sep: Sense and Sensibilities - sensory/sensual writing, writing emotions, sensitivity reading, writers’ sensibilities (all the feels); yes, even Jane Austen fan fic - deadline Mon 27 April
- Oct/Nov: Chrysalis - emerging writers, emerging from the margins, transformative reading/writing; Grace Marion Wilson Emerging Writers prize winners - deadline Mon 24 August
- Dec/Jan: Recovery - personal or planetary, pre- or post-pandemic; recovered memories/stories/culture/history; re-writing; rediscovered literary classics - deadline Mon 26 Oct
We accept non-fiction, articles and extracts of 800-1,600 words (1,200 words is ideal), with particular interest in the craft of writing and the writing life.
Submissions of fiction and memoir are open to Writers Victoria members only.
All submissions should include your name, contact information, as well as the title of your piece.
To submit an article pitch or something you’ve already written, click here.
Please note, we do get many submissions and may not be able to respond with feedback in all instances.
What we pay
- Commissions: $150 (800 words) to $200 (up to 1,200 words)
- Member submissions: $100 (800 words) to $150 (up to 1,200 words)
- Poems: $50 (up to 50 lines) to $75 (up to 100 lines)
Note that word length may be subject to editorial directives.
Paid commissions are also periodically available through grant funding and donations for writers with disability and writers of colour. Keep an eye on e-news, and our Twitter, Facebook and Instagram feeds for more information.