Writers Victoria members can find a list of local, state and national writing opportunities and competitions in the Calendar.
Members are also notified about writing competitions and publishing opportunities in the weekly member enews; as well as ‘The Victorian Writer’ magazine, which members receive four times a year.
Become a Writers Victoria member to start enjoying these and many more member benefits today!
Writers Victoria Opportunities
Since 2008, the Grace Marion Wilson Emerging Writers Competition has aimed to support and profile emerging Victorian writers.
Since 2007, the Glenfern Fellowships have awarded emerging and mid-career writers with three-month residencies at the Glenfern Writers' Studios in East St Kilda.
Opening for applications in July 2017, the Neilma Sidney Literary Travel Fund provides inspiration and practical support to emerging, midcareer and established writers, editors, agents, publishers, librarians, booksellers and other literary professionals.
Since 2013, five writers with disability have received free mentoring with authors, assessors and industry experts each year.
Writers Victoria is proud to be a partner of the following prizes and fellowships:
Early career writers of migrant background are invited to apply to the Deborah Cass prize. The winner receives a cash prize of $3,000 plus a three-month mentorship with an established writer.
The Hazel Rowley Literary Fellowship was established to encourage Australian authors to attain a high standard of biography writing and to commemorate the life, ideas and writing of Hazel Rowley (1951–2011).
For First Nations writers, and Australian writers of colour who seek to challenge singular narratives about the past, and who wish to offer testimony and prophecy alike. Offers $10,00 winning prize and $2000 runner-up prize; $300 for long-listed writers and publication in an anthology.
Competitions, prizes and fellowships run or partnered by Writers Victoria in the past include:
- Templeberg Residential Writing Fellowship – in 2013 and 2014, the Templeberg Residential Writing Fellowship sent an Australian writer to Templeberg Villa in Galle in the Southern Province of Sri Lanka for two- to four-weeks to work on a writing project.
- Playwrights' Fellowships – in 2012, six Melbourne playwrights received free mentoring with Raimondo Cortese.
- CALD Mentorships – in 2012, the CALD Mentorships supported and promote the work of writers from diverse backgrounds.
- WRAP Synopsis Prize
- Regional Members' Writing Competition
- RMIT Crime Writing Competition
- Doris Leadbetter Poetry Cup
- Victorian Premier’s Literary Award for an Unpublished Manuscript
- Lord Mayor's Creative Writing Awards
- Offset Magazine’s short story competition
- Rachel Funari Prize for Fiction